Wednesday, November 2, 2011

a rosy ponte

It's all about roses for me at the moment!  All of my 1 year old bushes are doing well and some are blooming their heads off.  More about that later...
Hubby P had Monday off...day before cup day here in Melbourne, so a lovely four day weekend or as David Astle discussed in this ep of letters & numbers, a ponte, which in Italian is an extra day taken around public holidays to extend the holiday :o)
We decided to have a rose expedition day.  On the agenda was the State rose garden at Werribee, the Alister Clark memorial garden at Bulla and the St Kilda Botanical garden which has another Alister Clark memorial garden.

















The main section of the state rose garden is stunning when all of the roses are viewed on mass...

















The pillar roses look amazing with the height that they add to the landscape...






















My favourite section was the David Austin bud...it didn't dissapoint, and confirmed my choice of mainly Austins for our own garden....

















I might consider adding this beauty, Darcey Bussell to our collection...

















Was lovely to see a foliage friend amongst all of the blooms...






















There were some other roses that I might think about growing...






















Portland roses which were in the heritage border, which I has never seen before.  They are very unusual and look more like a mini camellia than a rose and form a lovely shrub...






















And this beautiful climbing rose, Sally Holmes which was on one of the festoons in the main section.

I didn't take many pics at the Alister Clark garden at Bulla, but it was worth a visit.  Most of the roses were in between flushes but these Lady Huntingfield's at the side were lovely against the bluestone.






















The rose garden at St Kilda unfortunately did disappoint, but I won't go into details!  I had never been to the gardens though and there were other things worth seeing, especially the community garden which is a wonderful set up as an educational center.  I especially liked the broad bean patch!

No comments:

Post a Comment