Friday, December 2, 2011

just roses

I've been inspired by librarygirl over at the kingdom of too much to share some of my lovely roses that have been blooming for the last couple of months...they have only been in the ground for about a year so it has been very encouraging to have had some lovely blooms already...these first pics were taken today...






















Most of my DA's (David Austins...my absolute favourite, gorgeous frilly goodness roses!) are building up to their second flush...and this has been the main one for this Crown Princess Margareta rose which sent up a couple of massive canes after a few earlier blooms which are now topped with these beauties!

















One of the smaller growing DA's, Tamora, is also one of my favourite...it has a myrrh fragrance that I love and peony flower shape,  it always has at least few flowers on it...






















I picked these few today to put in my bud vase I keep on the kitchen window sill...Jayne Austin on the right...also has a beautiful myrrh fragrance and amazing parchment colour - is sprouting monster canes in my garden at the moment...ummm at this stage double the height of the predicted 1.1m and still going!...lucky that it's next to a garden arch...
The other two are a couple of small Evelyn's...an outstanding rose which has an amazing lemon scent in the morning and develops into a rich rosiness later in the day...below is one which I picked back in October, I kid you not, it is a full 11cm across!























Here's some pretty bunches also from October...a mixture of Evelyn's, Jayne Austin's and some Pat Austin's which you can see on the right below...






















All of the yellowy/apricot ones are from the front garden...in the back garden I have some pinks and reds...






















This bunch starred The Reeve, another stunning peony shaped bloom...

















This lovely pink is an Alister Clark rose, Amy Johnson which has a lovely old rose fragrance and has been flowering it's head off since September...

















I couldn't resist planting a few more this winter...I order them bare rooted through Mistydowns nursery (highly recommended!)...above is an old fashioned moss rose, William Lobb...it has a beautiful fragrance, amazing depth of colour and the mossy buds are divine... and below is Cornelia...small flowers with a honey scent, but it's already had lots of blooms and I imagine that it will be a mass of flowers in the future.  Both of these are on the side fence behind my apple trees.

















As you can probably tell, I looove roses...I could go on all day...:o)

No comments:

Post a Comment