I finally took the plunge iphone wise and I've dressed my whitey in a pink bumper...I think I must have been subliminally channeling this vintage cloth I have on the table at the moment when I made this choice!
I wasn't really going to take a holiday break from study, but with the other half home and so many renovations in the pipeline, I had to give poor P a hand. So it was a working holiday. At home we had a fence to fix after Hugo did a runner on christmas eve (lightening induced)...all was well, he got picked up by the police, drunk and disorderly with a golden retriever pal he had found along the way, and taken to the local emergency vet. That was a very relieving phone call I recieved at 4am!
We stabilized the old fence posts with star pickets and concrete then reattached the palings side by side with screws. It doesn't look terribly pretty (hence no photo's!) but it does the job and it is down the back behind the workroom. I did however glean the surplus palings and came up with a thrifty use for them. I've been having probs with the vegie patch - it is divided into 4 sections, but as I mulch and the plants grow, everything spills into the other sections. So, I used some long chunky stakes, malleted into the ground, and screwed the palings on horizontally. It has made such a difference in feeling organised and on top of everything...I think it's a bit of an analogy for the PhD, which definitely is in need of some set boundaries and clear direction!
Other renos have included re-laying paving in our patio, fixing an outside wall and painting windows. We also had a little getaway down to Rye to P's families holiday house, but also did renos down there too, so it was only a holiday for the doggles who got to have lots of lovely long walks, not for us!
The vegie growing is going ok, but a little slow, I don't think there has been enough consistent warmth. I've only had a few beans and zuchinnis so far. One thing I am excited about is a watermelon plant in the front garden which is looking promising - I've never succeeded in getting one to grow before.
And on the making front...
I finished the green tones baby cardi...
I joined all of my cardi knitting remnant granny squares together. It's about the size of a place mat and I find it very lovely, it reminds me of Sophie Digard. At the moment it's over the arm of the sofa...I'll keep adding to it and maybe one day it will be big enough to cover the bed...
And, I have started another baby cardi...moving along swiftly with this one :o)
There's a few other bits n bobs going on, but definitely time to get back to another kind of work!